What Types of Complaints Do We Take?

We take complaints about provincial government services, including:

  • a decision or action
  • a failure to act
  • a delay in service

We take complaints about provincial government:

  • ministries 
  • agencies
  • Crown corporations
  • boards
  • commissions
  • health entities (see health page for more details)

We also take complaints about Saskatchewan municipal governments, including:

  • cities
  • towns
  • villages
  • rural municipalities

We cannot take complaints about:

  • the federal government
  • the courts
  • decisions of Cabinet
  • school boards
  • the police
  • band councils
  • private companies
  • banks

If you are not sure whether we can take your complaint, contact us. We will tell you if we can take the complaint and may be able to help you understand your options. For example, we may talk with you about whether an appeal process is available and who you might wish to call.

When is a Complaint “Ready” for Ombudsman Saskatchewan?

In most cases, the first step is to work with the government office to see if you can work out a fair solution to the problem. Here are some steps you can take to try to solve the problem yourself:

  • Ask the government office to give you reasons for their decision.
  • Ask to speak to a manager.
  • Find out if there is an appeal process and try it.

If you have not taken these steps, we will ask you to do so. If you don’t know who to talk to, you are welcome to contact us. We may be able to help make you better aware of the options available to you.

For more information, see "Solving Problems on Your Own."

Top of Page